Sunday, January 01, 2006

You Can Ring My (Korean) Bell

Last night, at the last minute, some friends and I decided to visit the Korean Bell here in San Pedro. Every year, “they” ring the bell at midnight, to “ring” in the New Year. It's one of those “tradition” things.

The Korean Bell is a giant bell (like, at least 15 feet tall, or something) that was given to us as a token of friendship (or something) by our “sister city,” Seoul (I think). I'm not sure what we gave them in return, but I'm sure it was pretty nice.

As many of you who care know, I was born here in San Pedro, but for some reason, I've never heard the bell ring. It rings only a couple of times a year; one is on New Year's Eve, and I don't know when else (if ever). I've heard that the bell is so loud, that it can be heard for miles, and that its shock waves can actually warp the fabric of time, so you can bet that I was looking forward to hearing it.

So there I was, huddled around the bell with hundreds of revelers and dozens of official-looking Korean men in strange uniforms, as we all chanted the countdown in unison, “10...9...8...” and I braced myself.

“...3...2...1...HAPPY NEW YEAR!” I took a deep breath.
Then, a moment later, I heard a tiny, barely audible, “Ping.”

A few seconds later, there was another soft, delicate “Ping.”

“Ah! They're just warming up,” I figured, but no. It rang about ten more times, and each was as soft as the last. I guess they didn't want to break it, or wake the baby.

Still, I had fun, and three-quarters of The Gold State was there. Here's me with Brian, for those who care:

Let this serve as my New Year's gift to all mankind.

2 comments:

Geritopia said...

Hi Paul! Happy click-yer-boots-good 2006 to you.

paul said...

And a fine how-do-you-do-what-you-do-to-me to you, on this fine day, my fine friend!