Thursday, January 05, 2006

The Last Great American Stitch in Time

Here are a few things that don't really require or deserve their own posts:

  1. I now own an iPod. An iPod nano, and my soul is in such turmoil.

    I feel really guilty because I really love it. I don't want to love it, but I do. I love how it feels in my hand, all glassy and chrome-y and cold. I love how it purrs when my thumb makes little circles on its abdomen. I love how people look at me with that, “Who the hell are you that you can afford to toss around hundreds of dollars on such trivial luxuries,” when I'm in doctors' office waiting rooms.

    (Don't worry; I've only been in one doctor's office waiting room since I got the iPod; it wasn't for me, and it wasn't serious.)

    It's black, and it's (probably not coincidentally) reminiscent of the 2001-A Space Odyssey monolith.

  2. My boss at my new day job asked me if I'd made any New Year's Resolutions, and I was very quick to say, “No,” about which he seemed to have a great deal of trouble concealing his disappointment. So I'll probably get fired, and I don't think you can collect unemployment if you get fired for not making anyNew Year's Resolutions and being proud of it.

  3. I really want to try Absynthe. Yes, the hallucinogenic wood alcohol that was all the rage among turn-of-the-century arty types. Yes, it's illegal in this country.

    I guess that would be a Resolution of sorts, but I probably won't burst into the boss's office tomorrow and announce that.

4 comments:

Geritopia said...

I sort of dig the IPod Nano. For some reason, however, I just haven't gotten all frothy and hot-and-bothered enough to purchase one. Y'know, 'cause then I have to buy a custom colored sleeve for it, and a bonnet and little booties...

Absynthe. Now that's smart!

Anonymous said...

ive been wanting to try absinth too ... we should get a bottle and have a good old gold state trip out practice ...itll be fun ... think about it ..late

Anonymous said...

Be careful with the iPod concept, for it has the potential to do other artists great harm (so they say) with the "illegal download syndrome" sucking their royalties away from them.

Or is it just a case of sticking to the greedy record companies?

Or is this just a modern day paradox....that walks like an ox?

Starving Artist

Anonymous said...

oh yes! i so have some absynth ( i smuggled it back de espana) but for the kind of party we're gonna have we'll need to get some more. you know fer the chicks!! it's on!