Tuesday, January 03, 2006

There's No Place Like Home and Third Time's the Charm

When I was a child, I was really interested in all that urban legend, “In Search Of...” stuff. I ate it up. UFOs, the Loch Ness Monster, Jesus, all that stuff.

I found it really confusing, though, when people would refer to a group of alleged animals by a proper, capital-first-lettered name. Examples: The Abominable Snowman. Sasquatch. There I was, thinking that there was only one Bigfoot, like Paul Bunyan or something, but it turns out that there were whole herds of them.And then there's the whole “Abominable Snowman” mindfuck. Not only was he essentially a ripoff of Bigfoot, but he wasn't even white! How can you be a brown, hairy “snowman?”

I'm still not over that one.

(Incidentally, here's a link to that “Stabilized" Bigfoot footage that's been making the internet rounds.)

5 comments:

simple said...

looks like a guy in a costume to me. how pitiful, how sad, what a disappointment. I met a guy who saw bigfoot many years ago. Seemed to have been the central point of his life.

All of the wonder of the world is draining away. What do kids have to look forward to nowadays? Nuthin'. Damned National Geographic (and Jacques Cousteau too). Oh well, there's always infomercials.

Anonymous said...

I always thought the Abominable Snowman was white.

Geritopia said...

A Snowman that can stroll though the woods is always impressive --and on a sunny day!

I don't see anything Abominable about that. But while I'm at it, here's some other variations: The Thoroughly Detestable Snowman, The Loathsome Snowman, The Unpleasant Snowman, Disagreeable Snowman, etc...

With a little PR adjustment, the creature could easily turn this unfair negative image around by changing the name to: The Indomitable Spirit Snowman.

Joey Polanski said...

Ackordin t th inspird dockument, Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer, th Bumble Snowmonster AN Sam th Talkin Snowman were bofe white, an each was th only membr of his species.

paul said...

You know how white is a symbol of death in many cultures? That's pretty cool, huh?