Monday, May 08, 2006

Heres and Theres

I have no idea if I'll be able to convey this, but here goes:

I'm walking through the lobby of my day job's building, toward the elevator. As I round the corner, I can see that there is a lady standing at the rear of one of the elevators, waiting for the doors to close. As I walk, I'm trying to debate whether I have time to get aboard that one or not.

I've pretty much decided that I'm just going to wait for the next elevator when I notice that the lady is looking right at me, with a strange, smug facial expression. Suddenly, before the doors even begin moving, from her stationary position, she lets out a completely unnecessary and inappropriately loud shout-y type of noise, which was intended to convey to me, "Oh, I so want to help you get on this elevator, but, alas, it is too late! I have only just noticed you, and it's impossible for me to reach the 'Hold door' button in time! God save you, good sir!"

Of course, at this point, I'm thinking it would be kind of funny if I were to end up riding the elevator with this lady. I take these elevators every day, so I'm aware of how much time passes before the doors close, and I estimate that if I take two giant strides, I'll make it, and I do. However, the doors just begin to close, and I break the electric eye beam, causing them to lurch open, momentarily, before finally shutting.

"I'm OK, I've got it," I say cheerily, with mock gratitude.

This is how I roll.

No comments: