Wednesday, March 22, 2006

The Battle of 1814

Have you ever tried Campari? I never had, but I'd always wanted to, I mean, just look at it. It's reddish. And look at that logo. It says, "Wear light-colored pants and an ascot, sit under an umbrella emblazoned with me in a Northern Italian outdoor bistro at the foot of the alps, and cross your legs at the knee."
A bottle of Campari caught my eye at the store yesterday evening, so I brought some home, and I prepared a couple of drinks mixed with fresh-squeezed orange juice and splashes of soda, over ice, and I wanted so much to like it, but I kind of didn't. It tastes a little like evergreen trees smell. My girl-companion found it so disagreeable that she couldn't take more than a couple of sips without making a face that caused my heart to hurt, so I ended up drinking both of ours.

I slept really well, though, and I feel very well-rested and relatively sharp today, so maybe Campari is one of those tastes-like-crap-but-makes you-feel-great-the-next-day beverages, which certainly has its place, as far as I'm concerned.

2 comments:

Joey Polanski said...

DATE (takin a secon sip an makin a face): Ooooooh! Paul, I don think I can drink alla this.

PAUL (takes a sip imself): Oh, yeah. I see whatcha mean!

DATE: I realy hopd this evnin woont be a waste.

PAUL (after drinkin bofe his an hers): My lovemakins WAY bettern this stuff.

(HE SHOOTS! HE SCORRRRRRRRES!)

paul said...

Wow. It's as if you were there.