Friday, July 14, 2006

My Birthday is on July 23

Every year, I get really bummed out about my birthday. You can probably relate. I don't need to go into the reasons because I'm sure you have the same ones, and if you don't, you'll never understand.

I also find it really embarrassing and distasteful when people do this big look-at-me-hooray-it's-my-birthday-look-at-me thing, but I have a problem where I ignore the birthday and I don't tell anyone or think about it, and then it sneaks up on me and it's a shock.

This year, I decided that I'd try something completely different by making a really big deal about the birthday well in advance, which is the opposite of what I normally do. The problem is that I unconsciously did what I always do and I forgot about it until now. The birthday is on July 23, which is nine days away, so it's a little late to start planning a big party or something, but it's not too late for me to make a big deal about it and then get really depressed when nobody remembers.

Yes, I know that some people have called to wish me a happy birthday before and been met with a less-than-enthusiastic response from me, and that doesn't mean that you shouldn't do it, but it does mean that you'll probably never understand.

4 comments:

Cocovan said...

Just go to DENNY'S and get your free lunch and be done with it!
Why make a big deal out of ones birthday.....WOOOOO-HOOOOO!

Anonymous said...

so, would you rather i call you or not? i need to know. if i don't call, know that i'm thinking of you and that i love you. that's really the reason i would call. so let me know.

Anonymous said...

Apparently just a clever ruse to get more gifts.

Anonymous said...

People will be nicer to you on your birthday when they know when it is. Let them know next year with one of these:
http://www.cafepress.com/unclefrog.68666075

Works for the DENNY'S deal really, really well.