Sunday, June 04, 2006

Castles Made of Sand Castles

We're having what we call a "heat wave" here in Southern California. It was hotter than a welldigger's family christmas album today, and that's pretty hot.

But, I went to one of the best art shows I've ever been to today, "The Société Anonyme: Modernism for America," at the UCLA Hammer museum. They had more Duchamps, Man Rays and Ernsts than you could ever hope to shake a stick at.

The thing that captivated me for the longest, however, was Max Ernst's Paris Dream. I'd seen it in books many times before, and it was pretty cool to stand face-to-face with it.

Plus, the Hammer's never too crowded. We've got some really world-class museums here in Los Angeles, but sometimes LACMA gets a bit cramped, and if you go to the Getty, you always have to fight the undiscerning throngs of soccer moms who have no interest in art but are only there to have lunch because of the view or whatever.

Nothing against soccer or motherhood, mind you, but screw those people.

4 comments:

Cocovan said...

What about the SONG???

Geritopia said...

Did they still have the Jesper Just videos there? Huh, did they?

paul said...

Cocovan: Yeah, the song. I know. I didn't finish it yet, despite all the really good submissions. Yours was one of my favorites, too, Mister Cocovan. See, I "wrote" a bunch of it, but I never "recorded" it. Please keep asking, hopefully I'll get around to it one of these days.

paul said...

Geritopia: Yes, they had it, but the museum was about to close, so we didn't get to see it all. We'll go back. Was it good?