Thursday, September 24, 2009

Be On and Off


Artist and my good pal Camilla Taylor invited me to make a page for a 2010 calendar featuring actual prints made by actual printmakers. I think it came out pretty well; I was trying to be ambitious. It's a woodcut with fake wood grain screenprinted over it along with two more screenprinted colors (that's 4 colors, folks!). The three different color variations are shown above, making this series a "Variable edition."

In most cases (probably), each print in a series is supposed to be identical, but if the artist decides to make them slightly different, let's say by the use of several different colors, he or she must then add the notation "E.V." in pencil on each print, which stands for "Edition Variable," which makes no sense really. When speaking, nobody says, "Edition variable;" we say, "Variable edition," as in, "This series is going to be a variable edition." What I'm saying is that I think we should write "V.E." instead of "E.V."

Go figure.

No comments: